An exciting opportunity is available in Wildlife Action Group (WAG) for the Role of Research Assistant. This role will support our ongoing research work. This person must have a passion for conservation, bit physically fit with good communications skills, be highly motivated and willing to work in a challenging environment .
WAG currently manages two forest reserves in Malawi, Thuma and Dedza-Salima FR, where you will be based. This full time Research Assistant (RA) will report to the Park manager and work closely with rangers and local staff. The role of the RA is to collect, record and analyze data at a high quality from our various research projects and well as manage and assist our volunteers assist with their day to day living, and their academic requirements.
You will be living in remote camps which are basic but comfortable.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinating and conducting field research
- Responsible for ensuring data is accurately collected, input, and stored
- Data analysis and GIS mapping
Operations and Logistics
- Driving a manual 4×4 vehicle in the bush
- Responsible for maintenance of all project equipment (e.g. GPS, data sheets, batteries, etc).
- Responsible for site-specific logistics and schedules
- Responsible for organizing resupply and food shopping
Staff and People Management
- Responsible for coordinating, supervision and training of unskilled volunteers (both local and international) who join the program on a regular basis
- Working closely and cooperatively with other team members representing the project and with partner organizations
- Jointly responsible for camp maintenance and upkeep (including fetching water, charging equipment, cleaning, cooking meals, conducting food and kit resupply runs and volunteer pick-ups.
Reporting and Budgeting
- Produce bi-monthly project and logistics reports, newsletters, blogs, etc as required
- Be responsible for accurate budget record keeping and reporting
- Conduct all research activities effectively and efficiently to ensure that accepted standards of research and ethical behaviour are always met.
- Deliver other related duties as required.
- Maintain compliance with all WAG policies and procedures, and the laws of Malawi.
- Attend and contribute to project meetings if required
- Be flexible in the hours worked to fluctuating demand
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- BSc or higher in related field (biology, zoology, conservation, animal behaviour, etc)
- Experience working and living in remote environments, preferably in Africa (6 Months Minimum)
- Experience in field based research in remote environments
- Physically fit – able to walk for hours in unfavorable conditions (e.g. heat or rain)
- Good communication skills, for both international volunteers, students, local Malawian staff
- Experience in data collection, organization, and analysis
- Experience with manual 4×4 bush driving and valid driving license (Some maintenance experience a plus)
- Self-motivated, hard-working, flexible, and enthusiastic for the work; Positive mental attitude, and ability to muck in and get on with it
- Able to work both independently and in a team, as well as live with others
- Must be willing to work on projects where there is an associated risk due to the remote nature of the work, but must never take unnecessary risks that may endanger their life or the lives of their fellow employees and partners and/or hinder project objectives
- Experience in GIS, home range analysis and distance sampling analysis
- Post graduate research experience / degree in elephant or primate research, or related field
- Experience with vehicle maintenance
- Project management experience
- Publications in peer reviewed journals
- First aid trained
You will receive a monthly stipend. Accommodation is provided in Thuma Forest Reserves and the field sites. Transport inside the country (work-related) is covered by the project. Food whilst on site is also covered.
Personal food, personal travel, international flights, visas, vaccinations and medical aid, and insurance are not covered by WAG. You must have international medical insurance with emergency medical evacuation / repatriation covered.
Start Date: ASAP
Term length: 1 Year with option to extend.
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter to WAG on [email protected]
Check out www.wildlifeactiongroupmalawi.org